S&N

8.9.08

Prada Overload

Now... I know Prada is amazing. I should be able to track Prada's amazingness throughout history but I can't because I'm lazy and we didn't do it in History GCSE. But of recent (well... for the past two seasons) I've noticed that where Prada goes, everyone seems to follow.

Right now Prada seem to straddle that very difficult divide between ridiculously-popular and genuinely-amazing. It's a place that's only reached by a select very few (think early Madonna, Juno and some other things I can't think of) and it's usually accompanied by a whole load of backlash, although I suspect the only backlash going on in the fashion interest is physical backlash that the models probably subject themselves as some sort of massochistic ritual to stay thin.

ANYWAY (as POP magazine were clear to document) last Spring/Summer/Salt/Pepper, Miuccia Prada unveiled her collection of prints in collaboration with some artist or other. Strangely shaped dresses, tunics and skirts in greens and purples covered with haunting fairy sketches. They were certainly a refreshing change from the usual barrage of shit that gets shunted down our ('the world's') runways (catwalks) every year.

But by autumn-time I (and I suspect everyone else) was completely SICK TO THE TEETH of seeing every aspiring fashion icon and their dog dressed to the nines in one of Miuccia's creations. What had at first seemed ethereal and beautiful (especially on Sienna Miller, strangely enough) began to look ugly, out-of-place and BEEN-THERE-DONE-THAT.

This season, Miuccia's done lace.

Not just lace.

LACE.

She claims it's not meant to be erotic. But honey, it's LACE.

In our day and age, anything that isn't a bright pink bikini is erotic, because it goes against that awful brash, glossy sexuality that's actually rather unsexy ironically.

Anyway this lace is absofuckinglutely everywhere.

Go into Borders, open any pretentious fashion bible (POP, i-D, Dazed&Confused, Nylon, Wonderland, 10... I could go on) and there will be someone wearing one of Miuccia's Autumn/Winter/Left/Right Lace dresses.

They're brilliant but I have a feeling that by the time Spring/Summer/Sushi/Salad comes around I'll be utterly sick of it.

Sad... but I guess that's the price you pay for being genuinely amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment